Resident FAQS

We are pleased that you have chosen to live in one of our rentals and hope that you will enjoy your new home.

When is rent due?

Rent payment is due on the first day of each month.

How do I make my monthly rent payments?

  • Pay online through your tenant portal
  • Mail the payment but payments sent by mail are considered received once it actually arrives to our office and not by the envelope’s postmark date
  • Bring payment to our office.

What if I cannot pay on time?

We can try to work with you to arrange a payment plan acceptable to the property owner, however the late fee charge in your lease will be assessed to you. Be sure to contact our collection department before your due date so that we can notify the property owner of your payment plan. Please call (916) 597-2004

What happens if my roommate does not pay their portion of the rent?

We do not split rent; each tenant is equally responsible for the entire rent during their tenancy.

What happens if a personal check or online ACH payment is returned?

A charge of $20.00 will be assessed to your account. Replacement funds must be by Money Order or Cashier’s check. If there are two returned payments in a twelve-month period, we will no longer be able to accept personal checks or online ACH payments.

How do I get a mailbox key?

If the mailbox is owned by the property owner, you will be provided a key if it has a lock. If the mailbox is owned by the USPS you will need to take a copy of your lease to the local post office and purchase a key at your expense, for a directory of local Post Office branches you can call (800) 275-8777 or visit

When I moved in I did not have pets, and now I want to get one?

You will need to submit in writing the type of pet that you would like to bring on to the property and if approved by the property owner you will need to sign an addendum, provide picture of the pet and shot record (if a dog) and pay the additional security deposit which is a minimum of $500.00. You may also be required to show proof of renter’s insurance.

When do you show the property?

If Vacant, we typically have open showings of properties Monday thru Saturday and by appointment only on Sunday. If the property is occupied, we will schedule a time and date with the current tenant.

What happens if I can’t take care of my yard?

Unless monthly lawn care is provided by the property owner in your lease, you will need to hire a lawn care company to perform this service. We have many professional lawn companies that we work with and would be happy to provide you with phone numbers.

Who is responsible for maintaining the yard?

Responsibility of lawn care is generally the tenants but some owners will include this service, especially if it is a large yard or needs extensive care. We can advise you if we think providing lawn care should be included in the rental rate. While the property is vacant you will want to make sure the lawn is being cared for and it looks good since this is the first impression prospective tenants have of your property.

Can I install a satellite dish or cable?

Yes, but you must first obtain written permission from our office and sign an agreement. Some multi-family properties and those governed by Homeowner associations may prohibit installing a satellite dish in certain locations of the property. You must also take responsibility for removing the satellite dish and repairing any damage.

Who can occupy my property?

Only those who are listed on the lease are allowed to occupy the property.

Who do I contact regarding a maintenance issue?

You can submit a maintenance request from our website or call our office and ask for the maintenance department.

Can I be charged for a maintenance issue?

Yes, if the repair is due to the resident’s damage or neglect then you will be charged. You can also be charged if you miss a maintenance appointment with one of our vendors.

Can I withhold rent until a repair is made?

Per the California Tenant Handbook there are certain requirements that must be meet in order to withhold rent. The request must be in writing and a reasonable amount of time has been given to the Property management company to complete the repair item.

Can I make alterations to the property, such as painting?

Any request to alter the property needs to be requested in writing and must be approved in writing by our office prior to any work being done.

What is an Emergency?

Emergencies are defined as fire, flood, major roof leaks, heater not working, sewer line backup, water line breaks, electrical issues endangering life, and gas leak. If you smell a gas odor, immediately evacuate the property and contact PG&E or 911. If there is a fire call 911. Please see your Tenant Handbook for more information about emergency issues.

One of my roommates listed on the lease would like to vacate prior to the term of the lease expiring. What steps are involved in removing them from the lease?

If you are currently in a lease that person cannot be removed until the end of the term. They can choose to vacate but will still be legally responsible until the end of the term at which time they can give a 30-day notice to vacate.

What happens to the security deposit if one person moves out?

The security deposit is handled between the tenants. The security deposit remains with the property until the entire property has been vacated, we do not refund portions of a security deposit to individual roommates.

I would like to add a person to the lease?

If your request to add a person to your lease is approved, the person would need to submit a completed application and application fee. If the application is approved there will be a $50.00 “Lease Addendum Fee” and the lease addendum will need to be signed by all tenants.

What happens if I need to vacate the property prior to the lease expiring?

You would need to enter into a Breach of Contract, which needs to be approved by the owner. A Breach of Contract requires rent to be paid in full until the property is re-rented and occupied by the new tenant. You pay for all costs associated with re-renting the property including; the leasing fee which is 35% of one month’s rent, the leasing fee is due at the time of signing the Breach of Contract and the cost to rekey the property. Once the property is re-rented and occupied, we handle the move out according to California State Law.

If I want to vacate the property at the end of the lease what steps need to be taken?

A 30-day notice in writing and signed by all Residents listed on the lease is required in order to begin the move out process and the 30 Days begins from the day we actually we receive the notice. You will either need to be on a month-to-month agreement or at the end of your current lease.

When is the move out inspection done and can I be present?

A move-out inspection will be performed after you have returned the keys to our office. If you wish to be present at the move-out inspection, please indicate this in writing when you return the keys and we will contact you with the inspection time. If you would like to return keys to us at the move-out inspection, please email and you will be sent a form to sign and a scheduled time will be made with you.

How do I get all of my Security deposit back once I move out?

A good rule of thumb is to leave the property as you received it minus any normal wear and tear and to make sure that any past due balances have been paid. You will need to clean the property and have the carpets professionally cleaned and submit the receipt with your keys.

When do I get my security deposit back?

Your security deposit will be returned in full or with a transmittal explaining any deductions or good faith estimate of charges within 21 days of you returning the keys to our office in accordance with California State Law.

Why didn’t I get all of my deposit returned?

Deductions may be made from your deposit for such things as cleaning the home, professionally cleaning the carpets, lawn care, hauling of personal items, repairing any damage
done excluding normal wear and tear, lawn care, hauling of personal items, missing keys or garage remotes, and tenant charges owing.

Drop Us A Line