Winter is coming and will be here officially December 21, 2017 and before you know it, the winter storms will be in full force. So, as we head into the winter months it is important to make sure to check items are in working order in and around your property. Below are some key items we think you should make sure to check before the storms begin.
- Turn your sprinklers off
- Aerate lawn, re-seed lawn if needed
- Remove any attached hoses to prevent cracking
- Check gutters-if full contact your property management company
- Wrap exterior pipes to keep them from bursting
- Learn how to shut off water valves
Interior of House
- Run your heater to ensure there are no issues.
- Test smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Change your Heating and Air Filter.
- Check weatherstripping around windows and doors.
- Make sure fans are switched to the reverse or clockwise position, which will blow warm air down to the floor for enhanced energy efficiency and comfort
Other winter preparedness tips
In addition to checking around your house, it is also a good time to check your car. Maintenance in order to avoid accidents due to rain or snow may be needed and the following items will help you stay safe due the storm if you need to drive.
- Make sure to check your brakes, transmission and tires
- Test that your battery and ignition system are in top condition and that battery terminals are clean
- Inspect radiator coolant and sturdiness of hoses and belts
- Check your anti-freeze and thermostat to avoid freezing
- Check your windshield wipers and deicing washer fluid
- Inspect your headlights, tail and brake lights, blinkers and emergency flasher make sure they are working correctly
- Check your exhaust system, heater and defroster
- Check fuel and air filters
- Make sure your oil and power steering fluids are full
- Properly lubricate door locks that may be prone to freezing