The Labor Day holiday and unofficial end of summer is fast approaching and soon Fall, Football and the Holiday season will be here. Our office will closed Monday September 5th, 2016 and we will return to normal office hours Tuesday September 6th, 2016.
What is Labor Day and Why do we celebrate it? http://www.history.com/topics/holidays/labor-day
Below are a couple of fun recipes for your Labor Day BBQ.
BBQ Teriyaki Pork Kabobs (from Allrecipes.com)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound boneless pork loin, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 portobello mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 1 large red onion, cut into 12 wedges
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 12 bite-size chunks fresh pineapple
- In a shallow dish, mix together 3 tablespoons soy sauce, olive oil, 1 clove minced garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Add pork cubes, and turn to coat evenly with marinade. Cover, and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- In a saucepan, combine beef broth, cornstarch, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, brown sugar, 2 cloves minced garlic, and ginger. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil grate. Thread pork cubes onto skewers, alternating with mushrooms, onion, tomatoes, and pineapple chunks.
- Cook on grill for 15 minutes, or until meat is cooked through. Turn skewers, and baste often with sauce during cooking.
Strawberry Pretzel Salad
1 1/2 cups crushed pretzels
4 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
1 cup of white sugar
2 (8 ounce) packages of cream cheese
1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 (6 ounce) package of Strawberry Jello
2 cups of boiling water
1 (16 ounce) package of frozen strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together the pretzels, 4 1/2 tablespoons sugar and melted butter. Press into the bottom of a 9×13 inch pan. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, beat the sugar and cream cheese until smooth. Fold in the whipped topping. Spread evenly over the cooled crust. Refrigerate until set about 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the gelatin mix and boiling water. Mix in frozen strawberries and stir until thawed. Pour over cream cheese mixture in pan. Refrigerate until completely chilled, at least 1 hour.