Spring is in full swing, everyone is starting to get a touch of spring fever and before you know it kids will be out of school and summer will be here. Before you hasten summer too quickly, though, you should consider the state of your property. You know what that means? Time for some spring cleaning! We’ve got a few tips to help you get your property back to its pre-winter state.
- Figure out what really needs to be cleaned – Has it been months since your refrigerator or oven was cleaned out? Is the front closet stuffed full of coats and scarves? First figure out exactly what needs to be cleaned. A lot of stuff doesn’t get attention every week or even every month and needs a little bit more TLC in the springtime. Designate cleaning jobs for everyone in your household and then get started. It’s always easier with a list.
- Clean out those closets/Declutter – You’ll notice that closets get really messy and full in the winter. It’s the perfect time of year to start donating to Goodwill. Still have that sweater from the annual Ugly Sweater Christmas party? Throw that in the Goodwill bag and prepare to donate. Put away sweatshirts, coats, scarves, gloves and other winter apparel somewhere that it will be out of the way, but where you’ll be able to easily find it next season
- Take care of appliances – Anywhere you cook is bound to get messy. Even if you wipe down your counters and appliances every day, you still need to make a point to deep clean things. Your oven, stove, and fridge are especially vulnerable and can accumulate bacteria if they’re not carefully deep cleaned at least a couple of times per year. Throw out anything that’s expired and use baking soda and water to clean out your oven.
- Floors and windows – For carpets, spring is a good time to hire a steam cleaning service. Try to get all of the stains that you may have accumulated during the winter. It’s also advisable to clean both sides of the window. Let some fresh air in and clean them inside and out for a visibly brighter home.
- Change your air filter- this is a good time to clean or change your air filter depending on which kind you have. Changing and keeping the air filter clean will enable your air conditioning unit to run properly and efficiently.
- If you have kids– Make it a game to clean, it will help the time go by faster and it will make the chores into something fun and hopefully a little more enjoyable.